Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This meme was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We’d love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists! Each week we will post a new Top Ten list complete with one of our bloggers’ answers. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND fill out Mr. Linky . IIf you can’t come up with ten, don’t worry about it—post as many as you can!May 3: Books I’m So Happy Were Recommended To Me (all those books you probably wouldn’t have picked up without a good recommendation)
1. Regan & Goneril of William Shakespeare’s King Lear – While I could have counted these two separately, I think the fact that both of them were toxic. They lied to their dad for their own gain, leaving their honest and true sister out in the cold.
2. Char/Charlese of Sharon Flake’s The Skin I’m In– This snotty little girl terrorizes Maleeka for being dark-skinned. Char and others blackmail Maleeka into letting Char cheat off of her tests and assignments.
3. Joyce Barnhardt of Janet Evanovich’s Stephanie Plum series – This little witch with another letter has been after everything and everyone Stephanie Plum likes. She even sinks as low to hook up with Stephanie’s ex-husband – when they were still married.
4. Penelope Hayes of Anna Godbersen’s The Luxe series– This socialite has everything – looks, wealth, brains, and a cold, cold heart. However, Penelope lusts after Henry Schoonmaker. When Henry proposes to Penelope’s “best friend” Elizabeth Holland, Miss Holland better watch her back!
5. Nellie Oleson of Laura Ingalls Wilder’s Little Housebooks – Young Laura Ingalls found her antithesis in Nellie Oleson, a bully and spoiled brat. Her sense of entitlement was as large as Texas. I was happy to find out that Nellie was a composite of numerous annoying girls Laura knew.
6. Libby Chessler of Sabrina the Teenage Witch Comics – Just seeing her on the page annoyed me. Libby tried to steal Sabrina’s boyfriend Harvey. Funny enough that Sabrina was the witch and not Libby. Then, there was the whole cheerleader thing.
7. Lucy Steele of Sense and Sensibility – A nasty little twerp who managed to engage herself to Edward Ferrers. She flaunts this in poor Elinor Dashwood’s face. Her surname suits her well.
8. Lola Quincey of Atonement– Briony, Cecelia, and Robbie Turner could all have been much happier had none of them made the acquaintance of this proverbial redheaded stepchild. Even Mrs. Tallis could see her as a problem child. Nevertheless, she made a good catalyst.
9. Abigail Williams of The Crucible – This conniving slut served as a maid for the Proctor family. When Elizabeth Proctor sees that the skank is having an affair with her husband, John, Elizabeth fires Abigail. So, Abigail accuses Elizabeth of witchcraft.
10. Sophie of Just Listen – This cruel girl bosses around her “best friend” Annabel. She treats everyone else that she cannot use worse than dirt. Then, she maliciously turns on Annabel when the latter needs a friend the most.