Gilbert, E., & Penguin Audiobooks. (2010). Committed: [a skeptic makes peace with marriage]. New York, N.Y: Penguin Audio. 9780143145752
Soon after I finished Gilbert’s Eat, Pray, Love, I wanted to know what happened with Liz since her previous memoir. Luckily, I found what Gilbert calls Eat, Pray, Love’s companion memoir in audiobook format at HCPL.
Spoiler Alert (If you anticipate reading Eat, Pray, Love, then do not read this review)
Towards the end of her previous memoir, Liz met Felipe. Felipe, a Brazilian man with Australian citizenship living in Bali, survived his own bitter divorce. So, when he and Liz began their romance, they agreed to remain monogamous without legally marrying.
Their arrangement suited both of them pretty well; Felipe would stay with Liz in various United States locales for the weeks alloted him. Then, Felipe would leave and return on the next visa. This all ended when the U.S. government denied him entry.
Confronted with the reality of legal marriage so Felipe could dwell again in U.S., Liz and Felipe find themselves on the move in Southeast Asia, awaiting Felipe’s permission. During this time, Liz delved into researching the institution of marriage. Her discovery led to this memoir.
Liz’s work is impressively thorough and exhaustive in Committed. At some points, her doubt pervaded her writing, lending to its authenticity. While I don’t agree with her on numerous points and am virtually clueless on other issues she raises, I considered this a good read.
Four Out of Five Pearls
Setting: United States, Indonesia, Southeast Asia
You might also like:
- Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
- The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri
- The Awakening by Kate Chopin
- The Feminine Mystique by Betty Friedan
- It Takes A Nation by Rebecca Blank
- A Doll’s House by Henrik Ibsen
- Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
For more on Elizabeth Gilbert’s Committed. . ., check out the following:
- Book Review: Committed by Elizabeth Gilbert | Joy’s Book Blog
- Book Reviews | “Committed” by Elizabeth Gilbert | The Lit Review Dot Com
- Nadine Jolie » Blog Archive » Committed by Elizabeth Gilbert
- Committed by Elizabeth Gilbert / Review « Mrs. O’Dell Reads