This is the eleventh interview for Reader of the Month.
I think my earliest memory of Marco L. is from the time we were sixth graders at Dean Intermediate. We were both in choir at Cook Middle School and Jersey Village High but we didn’t talk much back then. I’d say we’ve probably talked more since high school graduation. When I learned Marco L. read one of my recent favorite books, I asked if he’d be willing to be a Reader of the Month. He kindly obliged.
1. What’s the best thing you’ve read in the past year?
The best thing I’ve read in the past year is actually the most recent book I have read also. It was Heaven Is For Real by Todd Burpo.
2. Do you have any quirks when it comes to reading?
When reading dialogue, I find myself reading it out loud and in a different voice for each person.
3. What’s on your bookshelf or in your book bag?
Currently, the book that is with me is The Bass Angler’s Almanac by John Weiss. Bass fishing is very challenging, especially with the changing of seasons, so I like to read educational books for tips and tactics.
4. Who supplies your reading material?
5. What type of reading do you usually enjoy?
Aside from educational books, my favorite are detective/ case solving stories and true military stories.
6. Who are some authors that you read regardless of anything?
Dan Brown and James Patterson are my favorites. They never let me down.
7. What’s on your TBR (to be read) list?
I must admit, I don’t have one 😦 .
8. Can you recall a book that changed your life? How so?
This might sound cliché, but The Bible changed my life. Basically, it showed me how God wants me to live my life (opposite of how I lived when younger). My life is infinitely better now.
9. What was something you enjoyed reading as a child?
My favorite books I read as a child were the Encyclopedia Brown series. Encyclopedia Brown was like Sherlock Holmes in child form.
10. Where do you like to read?
I love to read outdoors. It helps me concentrate more for some reason.
11. Other than reading, what do you like doing?
My hobbies include fishing, playing baseball/softball and watching movies.
12. Where can we find you online?
You can find me at https://www.facebook.com/#!/marco.landa.77 but leave a message because I usually don’t accept friend requests from people I don’t know.
13. Would you like to make a shout out to any other avid readers that are online?
Hey Jorie!!! Haha 🙂
14. What do you challenge people to read?
A lot of people don’t want to try and read The Bible due to its size, so I say read Heaven is for Real. It’s a true account of a 4 year old boy who went to Heaven and came back. It’s written by his father, Todd Burpo, who is a pastor. It made my faith so much stronger, and I think it will do the same for you.
15. How about sharing five random facts about you?
I am an accountant for an energy company, I have 4 dogs, I am a board member for a non-profit organization called Navidad en el Barrio, I ,most likely, don’t read nearly as much as most of you reading this, and I’m still single. 🙂