This is the eighteenth interview for Reader of the Month.
Several years ago, a group of eighth grade girls were in the same gym class. One of those girls was Michelle O. I think both of us preferred reading to any activity assigned in Physical Education. While we didn’t have many classes together in high school, we both went to Baylor where we hung out a lot, discussing books for class, and, even better, books we read for fun.
1. What’s the best thing you’ve read in the past year?
I can’t remember if I read The Hunger Games trilogy this year or last year. It’s not the best reading, but it was the most entertaining.
4. Who supplies your reading material?
The Kindle has made it too easy to get books now.
5. What type of reading do you usually enjoy?
I usually read fiction. I like multiple genres and will read anything that catches my attention.
6. Who are some authors that you read regardless of anything?
Orson Scott Card is my favorite author. If I find an author that I like, I usually read almost everything they have available, and then I move on the next author.
7. What’s on your TBR (to be read) list?
Inferno by Dan Brown is waiting in my Kindle.
8. Can you recall a book that changed your life? How so?
I can’t remember the name of the book. I think it was a variation of Scabs, Bumps, and Bruises. I borrowed it from the library when I was about 8 years old. I was fascinated by it, so I asked my mom what kind of job I could get when I grew up that would incorporate the content. She told me I could be a doctor, so that’s what I did.
9. What was something you enjoyed reading as a child?
10. Where do you like to read?
On my couch.
11. Other than reading, what do you like doing?
I like running. I’m training for my second marathon.
12. Where can we find you online?
It’s too much work to turn on my computer. I go on Facebook about 1-2 times a month.
13. Would you like to make a shout out to any other avid readers that are online?
Let me know if you find anything good to read.
14. What do you challenge people to read?
With society’s obsession with TV and the internet, I just challenge people to read at all.
15. How about sharing five random facts about you?
1. I have a dog who is 16 years old. He’s a Pomeranian named Spike.
2. I swam in the Amazon river when I spent a month in Peru. (Someone later went into extensive detail about what lives in the Amazon river, so I might pass on that a second time.)
3. I used to hate running, but started to gain weight after I moved to Chicago, and I wanted to lose the extra weight. However, I like to eat, so I wanted to see if I could still eat what I want and just run marathons. It didn’t work out the way I wanted, so now I try to eat better too.
4. I want to be an oncologist.
5. I love watching movies. I collect DVDs too.