Reasons for Reading : I remember loving all the Judy Blume books I read as a child – Tales of the Fourth Grade Nothing, Superfudge, Just As Long As We’re Together, etc. As I grew, I read Deenie and It’s Not the End of the World. When I read Wifey as a high school senior, the book scandalized me. From what everyone told me about Forever…, I decided not to try it until November 2011. I requested and checked it out from HCPL.
Summary: When Katherine meets Michael at a New Year’s Eve party thrown by best friend Erica’s cousin, she immediately catches his eye. Soon, the two high school seniors are dating and can’t get enough of each other. Michael wants to “go all the way” with Katherine. Ready for true love, Katherine agrees that their love is a “forever thing” . . . but is it really?
What I Liked : I wish Judy Blume had been my Life Science teacher. She doesn’t back away from the pros and cons of teen sex. The book even began with a note from Blume on how Forever… was published before HIV prevalence. The characters were identifiable, especially narrator Katherine.
What I Disliked : I didn’t care for Michael. I thought he pushed Katherine around the proverbial baseball diamond. Simply put, he pressured her into having sex with him.
Four Out of Five Pearls
Setting : New Jersey
You might also like:
- The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen
- Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman
- Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen
- Girl in Translation by Jean Kwok
- Sisterhood Everlasting by Ann Brashares
- Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan
- Then Again, Maybe I Won’t by Judy Blume
- Wifey by Judy Blume
- This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen